Re: [Xen-devel] Re: new netfront and occasional receive path lockup

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 10:54:27AM -0700, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
>  On 09/14/2010 01:25 AM, Ian Campbell wrote:

> >> Agreed.
> > Should we also consider adding a netback option to disable it for the
> > system as a whole as well? Or are the issues strictly in-guest only?
> >
> > Perhaps netback should support a xenstore key to allow a toolstack to
> > configure this property per guest?
>
> It depends on what the problem is.  If there's a basic problem with the
> smartpoll front<->back communication protocol then we'll probably have
> to revert the whole thing and start over.  If the bug is just something
> in the frontend then we can disable it there until resolved.
>
> Fortunately I haven't pushed netfront smartpoll support upstream yet, so
> the userbase is still fairly limited.  I hope.

There has been quite a few people on ##xen on irc complaining about it..

I think the smartpoll code has ended up in Debian Squeeze 2.6.32-5-xen kernel..
Hopefully they'll pull the "Revert "xen/netfront: default smartpoll to on""
soon..

-- Pasi