Re: [Xen-devel] pciback bug "secondary bus reset failed"

Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 04:53:01PM +0100, Alex Zeffertt wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to passthrough a PCI network card to a domU guest, but I'm hitting a bug that prevents the IRQ being unbound from dom0.

Here are the steps I am taking:

 * configure Xen to pass $pci (0000:06:00.0) through to guest VM
 * unbind from current driver in dom0 and rebind to pciback:

     echo -n $pci > /sys/bus/pci/devices/$pci/driver/unbind
     modprobe pciback
     echo -n $pci > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pciback/new_slot
     echo -n $pci > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pciback/bind

 * start guest VM

I then get the following on the dom0 console

  pciback 0000:06:00.0: secondary bus reset failed for device - all functions \
  need to be co-assigned - err: 6
  pciback 0000:06:00.0: FLR functionality not supported; attempts to use \
  secondary bus reset unsuccessful;
  pciback 0000:06:00.0: FLR not performed for device

Please check this wiki page:
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenPCIpassthrough

It has a chapter about the "all functions need to be co-assigned" error..

-- Pasi

Hi Pasi,

Thanks for your reply. I think I understand what is happening now. My card is too old to have the Function Level Reset functionality. This leaves the following options:

1. Assign all the cards that share the PCI bus (0000:06) to the same guest. This enables the FLR functionality to be replaced by the bridge's "Secondary Bus Reset" functionality

 - or -

2. Apply the patch referred to on http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenPCIpassthrough to bypass the FLR

If I can't do number #1 because some cards are in use by dom0 then I guess #2 is the only option. But does #2 require that dom0 has never accessed the card? Also, what if you reboot the domU - does the fact that you can't do an FLR on the card mean that there will be unpredictable results the 2nd time domU tries to initialise it?

Thanks again,

Alex