RE: [Xen-users] What's the different for "dom0_max_vcpus=4dom0_vcpus_pin" and "dom0_max_vcpus=4" ?

Hi Lei,

Q1: The pin is needed to lock Dom0 to cores 0 & 1.

Q2: It means 4 vcpus are allocated to Dom0, they can float between physical cores. VCPUs don’t really line up with cores, you can assign 8 vcpus on a DomU  on a 4 core Dom0 box for example. 8 cpus will appear in the VM but Xen will try to allocate the request within its 4 physucal cores. Generally assigning more VPUs than you have physical cores is pointless.

Q3: No SMP for a DOMU will mean the kernel is not SMP aware, this can save a small amount of overhead and improve scheduling in certain cases on a single core DOMU. I’m not sure what the affect would be on Dom0, my guess is it won’t be good.

Rob