RE: [Xen-devel] mce_wrmsr() and (at least) HVM guests

Jan, sorry for no response for this. It is not in my inbox, maybe is put into
my junkmail box. (Really strange that some xen-devel mail will be put into
junkmail, including my patch submission mail).

I think it is different for MCG_CTL and MCn_CTL:
For MCG_CTL, the SDM spec stated: "IA32_MCG_CTL controls the reporting of
machine-check exceptions. If present, writing 1s to this register enables
machine-check features and writing all 0s disables machine-check features. All
other values are undefined and/or implementation specific.". So I assume
current implementation is ok.

For MCn_CTL, the spec only stated that "P6 family processors only allow the
writing of all 1s or all 0s to the IA32_MCi_CTL MSR". So yes, current
implementation is over-killed, especially I think we should not care about P6
family in Xen environment.

But the mce_cpu_quirks() give remind me if we should still split the Intel/AMD
MCE msr virtualization? For example, will AMD platform allow IA32_MCE_CTL to be
not all 1s and 0s?

And also another potential issue raised out. For example, guest has clear one
bit in MCn_CTL while physically it is enabled. If a error corresponding to this
bit really happen, at least we should not inject a vMCE to guest. We will
either kill the guest, or let the guest continues, depends on the error type .

I can cook patches for these issues, after I resolve the vMCE to pvops dom0,
hopefully early next week.

--jyh