Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Live migration fails due to c/s 20627

On 12/16/2009 07:20 AM, Dan Magenheimer wrote:
Well, "heuristic" implies a reasonably high probability of
getting the right answer.  Would you agree that the probability
that TSC_AUX gets the "right" answer is much higher
in a physical environment than in a (non-pinned) virtual
environment?  And if the heuristic is wrong more often
than right, that using that heuristic is a bad idea?

It won't make a difference either way. Running in a Xen domain, the kernel will only see a single NUMA node, so the node id is constant. The CPU number may not correspond to a pcpu all the time, but scheduler affinity should make a given vcpu number correspond to the same pcpu for a while.

In either case, an application paying attention to cpu+node will do at least as well as an app ignoring them. So I don't think your argument that "if TSC_AUX cannot ALWAYS be trusted by an application, apps will NEVER trust it" is true at all.

Aside from the fact that the cpu+node issue is completely irrelevant to whether we support TSC_AUX.