[Xen-devel] Re: pv_ops dom0 kernel vga text console line offset problem

On 12/13/2009 08:31 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
My newer x86_64 testbox shows a problem with vga text console, basicly
when drm is initialized (without modesetting, kernel has "nomodeset" parameter),
all the text gets some offset, ie. the text doesn't start from the
beginning of the line, but from the middle of the screen.

This happens with pv_ops dom0 kernel, using Xen 3.4.x hypervisor. The
same kernel binary works OK without problems on baremetal (without Xen).

I recorded a video of this behaviour, it's easiest to check it out:
http://pasik.reaktio.net/xen/pv_ops-dom0-debug/xen_pvops_dom0_vga_console_line_offset_problem-xvid.avi

Any ideas?

Hardware is Supermicro Intel motherboard with ATI ES1000 graphics.

Yes, that's very odd. Are you using any ATI-specific drivers, or is this being used as plain generic VGA hardware? You have radeon drm; what happens if you disable that?

I guess there's some register state which isn't being either set up properly, or read back properly, so the kernel driver is out of sync with the actual hardware state. But I'm not sure where I'd start looking for the problem.