[Xen-devel] RE: [ PATCH 4/4 ] HVM vcpu add/remove: qemu logic for vcpu add/revmoe

  • To: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Liu, Jinsong" <jinsong.liu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 17:54:00 +0800
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Cc: Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 01:54:51 -0800

Keir Fraser wrote:
> On 14/12/2009 08:04, "Keir Fraser" <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On 13/12/2009 18:05, "Liu, Jinsong" <jinsong.liu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> HVM vcpu add/remove: qemu logic for vcpu add/revmoe
>>>
>>> -- at qemu side, get vcpu_avail which used for original cpu avail
>>> map;
>>> -- setup gpe ioread/iowrite at qmeu;
>>> -- setup vcpu add/remove user interface through monitor;
>>> -- setup SCI logic;
>>
>> I'm guessing because this adds a new command-line option that I need
>> this checked into the qemu tree before I can apply your first patch
>> (1/4)? Otherwise that patch will break domain creation as qemu will
>> exit with an 'unrecognised option' error. So I need Ian Jackson to
>> apply this one and send me an updated QEMU_TAG first.
>
> As of c/s 20640 all your Xen patches are checked in. I modified them
> a bit so you may want to take a look. I commented out the one line
> that actually sets the new qemu option, until that option is
> supported by our qemu. I think there is a question over whether the
> new qemu option should (a) have a better name (I called it
> vcpu_online[] in hvm_info structure); and (b) should have a more
> user-friendly format (currently passing a decimal number interpreted
> as a bitmap - perhaps should be a list of vcpus instead).
>
>  -- Keir

Thanks!

Currently at xm level, HVM config keep compatible with PV config (patch 20495,
20502), they both set maxvcpus/ avail vcpus at config file as
maxvcpus = xxx
vcpus = yyy
and both HVM and PV can dynamic add/remove vcpus now.

One question is, patch 20384/ 20386/ 20389 and qemu patch
3140780e451d3919ef2c81f91ae0ebe3f286eb06 extend HVM vcpus max to 128, however,
current xm and xend python logic seems only support max 64 since xm/xend now
interpret vcpu bitmap to a 'long'.
I agree that the bitmap would better be replaced by a list of vcpus so that
vcpus number will not be limited in the future.

Regards,
Jinsong