RE: [Xen-devel] RE: Saving/Restoring IA32_TSC_AUX MSR

Hi, Dan,
        I am now trying to add the rdtscp support for Xen HVM guest.
        I have some questions about your pvrdtscp patch. See below.

Dan Magenheimer wrote:
> Hi Jun --
>
>> But it's possible that multiple domains use the pvrdtscp
>> algorithm, and the incarnation number is domain specific.
>
> OK, I see.  The code for writing TSC_AUX is in
> __update_vcpu_system_time() not in context switch.

Will you modify the place where Hypervisor writes TSC_AUX MSR?
In the current pvrdtscp logic, I think this MSR should be written while
vcpu context switch. Also, this will make HVM support much easier
because that MSR would not be modified by Hypervisor time to time.

>> We also have the issue when adding RDTSCP support for
>> HVM guests.
>
> Only if you expose the rdtscp bit via cpuid.  This could
> certainly be done but, as I said, is probably pointless.
> (The pvrdtscp algorithm uses the instruction whether or
> not the rdtscp bit is set in cpuid, since Xen emulates
> it -- for PV domains only now -- if the physical machine
> doesn't support the instruction.

We are planning to add HVM support for RDTSCP, and the behavior for this
instruction
will follow the native way.
This caused a problem that RDTSCP instruction in application has different
experience
upon PV and HVM domains. Do you have any comment about this? Thanks!

Thanks!
Dongxiao