Re: [Xen-devel] xm dmesg

If you can't get a serial cable onto the host, you could add "noreboot" to the
Xen commandline, then you'll be able to read the messages off the screen (and
maybe take a picture with a digital camera!).  Of course, if the messages are
long enough to scroll off the screen then this won't necessarily help :-(

Another trick that can be useful is to run Xen within and HVM domain.  Whilst
this isn't exactly a highly used / tested configuration, it generally works
for me.  The HVM domain has a virtual serial port, which you can use to
capture all the data without actually having to have a real serial line on
the box.  It's also easier to remote reboot an HVM domain if it crashes than
to reboot a crashed physical machine remotely.

Cheers,
Mark

On Friday 29 June 2007, Cui, Dexuan wrote:
> My suggestion is that you may need a serial cable ----- using it, you can
> record all the messages Xen prints, even when Xen hung/crashed.
>

> -- Dexuan
>

> ________________________________
>
> From: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> [mailto:xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Koripella
> Srinivas Sent: 2007å6æ29æ 11:33
> To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [Xen-devel] xm dmesg
>

> Hi,
>
> I have done some changes to xen code for shadow page tables.
> After i bring up a guest to test these changes because of some error  the
> system reboots and i cant find out the reasonn for the error because i lose
> the contents of 'xm dmesg' .(because the system reboot has overwritten the
> old contents.) Is there anyway i can see the old contents of xm dmesg or
> some way to back it bedore it has rebooted
>

> Thanks

> Download prohibited? No problem. CHAT
> <http://in.rd.yahoo.com/tagline_webmessenger_1/*http:/in.messenger.yahoo.co
>m/webmessengerpromo.php>  from any browser, without download.

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!