[Xen-devel] feature request - MAC address calculation algorithm

  • To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 20:36:04 +1000
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 03:34:17 -0700

I have a couple of physical servers that each have a few domains on
them. I'd love to be able to calculate a MAC address for a new domain
like:

FE:FD:XX:YY:ZZ:ZZ

Where:

XX = Physical machine number (assigned in main config file)
YY = Interface number (not sure how this would be calculated)
ZZZZ = domain ID

This would ensure that the MAC address is unique across all machines in
a cluster.

I'm guessing I should be able to do something like that in the python
script file... can anyone offer me any hints?

Thanks

James