Re: [Xen-devel] redundancy with timer function of balloon driver

> Code involved in balloon driver for scanning of xenstore has been
> implemented by polling with timer and event notification function.
>
> timer written like this:
>
> init_timer(&balloon_timer);
>    balloon_timer.data = 0;
>        balloon_timer.function = balloon_alarm;
>
> and other function realted to timer in balloon driver is
>
> mod_timer(&balloon_timer, jiffies + HZ);
>
> but there is no routine i have seen which make the timer activate by adding
>
> add_timer(&balloon_timer) in the balloon driver

Hi there,

From the comments in linux-2.6.18/kernel/timer.c::mod_timer():

 * mod_timer is a more efficient way to update the expire field of an
 * active timer (if the timer is inactive it will be activated)

So I guess the mod_timer call is also having the effect of activating the
timer without using add_timer.  Does this sound right to you?

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!