Re: [Xen-users] XenU installs

On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 19:42 +0100, Mark Williamson wrote:

> What IMO we *ought* to have is a simple way of describing how _to start_ an
> install of a paravirtualised Xen-aware guest.  To begin with, that'd be all
> we want and I think it would be a big win in itself.

> Generalising slightly, I guess I'm not really proposing initially a way to
> simplify installs.  I'm proposing a vendor-neutral way to make an ISO
> the "bootable" for a paravirtualised system.

I understand the scope of what your talking about now. It would then be
up to whatever reads it to provide an automated mechanism. I'm dense and
your excited. It took a few times.

> Can't you do that sort of thing using RedHat's kickstart?

To a degree. What the majority of people want is something to pave and
manage guests easily, way beyond the initial setup. Like you said, its
way out of the scope of what your describing. But this is of particular
interest to anyone writing stuff that will be the next step in the
process.

> Mmmmmm.  Agreed on basically all counts.  Also I think that this is still the
> kind of thing you'd want to be able to leverage natively too so I think it
> comes outside the scope of what I'm looking at...

Hate to bring this up but are you going to address pciback? Some people
export printers, nics or other things too.

> Perhaps a wider discussion needs to be had with vendors about automating
> deployment in VMs: the same things that you need with mass deployments on
> physical machines become even more important when you've gone virtual.

It is aggravating to everyone. I hope some standard can be reached.
You'll find lots of support for that here for sure.

It would really be neat to be able to strap anything from anything. That
takes so much work off the shoulders of anyone writing something around
or with Xen. The end result would just be more people using more distros
that they probably would not otherwise. Its good all around.

I hope you have luck getting an agreeable standard, even just that is a
big step in the right direction.

Best,
--Tim