Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Pre-virtualization, was Re: linux/arch/xen/i386 or linux/arch/i386/xen

On Fri, 20 May 2005, Anthony Liguori wrote:

> I'd really like to see a "pure" form of pre-virtualization that required
> no modifications at all to the underlying source tree.  Besides being
> interesting from an academic standpoint I think it would be highly
> useful for support legacy Open Source operating systems.

from my point of view, linux and bsd are the same OS; plan 9 is the hard
one. I need to modify plan 9 for all of these. At the same time, if I
understood how to hack the compiler in the manner you describe, it would
probably not take long at all.

> I'm very excited about this technology.  I imagine that you can get all
> the benefits of binary-rewriting with less complexity and better
> performance (with the only limitation being that you have the source
> code for the OS which is fine by me).

likewise. It's a big effort to track Xen 3.0 nowadays, with the current
rate of change, and the effort is highly magnified by the fact that Plan 9
does not use gcc.

ron