RE: [Xen-devel] Genapic

Puthiyaparambil, Aravindh wrote:
> I am a little confused here. When you say XenLinux I am assuming you
> are talking about the Linux user kernels which have Xen patches. Why
> would we even turn on the mach specific features in the user kernels?

Xen assumes particular mach specific featurs, such as timer, memory
reporting, IRQ, interrutp handling, which don't necessarily work with
such mach specific features as found on real machines.

> I would think that that the mach specific code needs to reside in the
> Xen hypervisor itself. It at the moment has unified apic.c/io_apic.c
> for x86_32 and x86_64 platforms. Don't we to add genapic code in
> there? Or am I wrong on this? Maybe I need more coffee :-)
I talked about the generic platform support, not genapic per se. We have
moved ACPI, PCI, and part of io_apic (which required apic.c) handling to
dom0 to do better platform detection and configuration. Xen still owns
IO APICs, and some operatons must be done by Xen.

Jun