RE: [Xen-devel] Xeno-unstable crashing at boot

  • To: "Mike Wray" <mike.wray@xxxxxx>
  • From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 20:55:40 +0100
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 16 May 2005 19:55:15 +0000

 > > What hardware is the problem machine? It has an impresively
> long list of
> > ACPI table entries. Since the code being executed is the
> native Linux
> > code it's surprising that it's having problems.
>
> It's a dual processor 2.8GHz xeon, 2GB RAM.
> The cpuinfo was attached to an earlier email.
> I've attached it again, with hwconf.

No, I mean the make and model of the machine. I have 3 different kinds
of dual 2.8GHz Xeon with tg3 NICs that Xen unstable works fine with. It
something specific to your particular machine, probably the BIOS. (BTW:
are their BIOS upgrades available?)

> > Please can you try using a DEBUG=y build of Xen, and then adding
> > show_guest_stack earlier in the failure path.
>
> So 'DEBUG=y make world'?

"make clean; make debug=y dist" should do it.

> Can you suggest what a good place 'earlier in the failure
> path' might be?

I expect you'll get an error message from Xen before the BUG in domain
crash. See where the error message comes from, and then add the
show_guest_stack to the appropriate path.

Thanks,
Ian