Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Extensions to control tools for CD-ROM support

> I noticed that there's now a bug in bugzilla for CD-ROM support (#28).
>
> There's just a couple issues on how it should be exposed in the tools.
> Otherwise, it's a pretty easy patch.

There's believed to be some sort of driver-level bug that needs fixing here,
since it appears to be more broken than it should be.

> 1) How should a user specify whether a block device should be exposed as
> a CD-ROM?

How about a uname-style format like we have for source devs?  We could make
the type specifier optional, e.g.

disks = [ 'phy:/dev/sda1,hda1,w', 'phy:/dev/cdrom,cdrom:hdd,r']

> 2) Is it going to be necessary to expose block devices as other types?

Maybe one day...  The above syntax should be flexible enough though.

> 3) If we're going to move to special Xen-specific block devices, should
> we also have Xen specific CD-ROMs?  Something like /dev/xcdN?

It'd be nice to retain the ability to use arbitrary hdX and sdX nodes for now
(and possibly even after we have some device numbers assigned).

Cheers,
Mark