[XenARM] Problem with entry.S, error on instruction 'eors'

  • To: xen-arm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Shreyansh Jain <shrey.linux@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 15:36:23 +0530
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 04:01:28 -0700

Hi List,

I recently started working/exploring the XEN on ARM Project. As an
initial step I tried to compile the source code of xen-arm (extracted
from
[http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/XenARM?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=xen-arm-opensource.tar.bz2]).
For this purpose, I have used the gcc-arm (3.4.4) cross-compiler as
suggested by the
[http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/XenARM?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=Secure_Xen_on_ARM_User_Guide_v1_1.pdf]
document.

Following was the error which I observed:

---8<---
traps.c: In function `fixup_exception':
traps.c:56: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
entry.S: Assembler messages:
entry.S:368: Error: register expected, not '#0x00000013' -- `eors
r12,#0x00000013'
make[4]: *** [entry.o] Error 1
---8<---

I changed the compiler by downloading a gcc-arm version 3.4.3 and the
error persisted. On further searching (Google), I noticed that the
usage of the assembly instruction in entry.S:

---8<---
367         ldr     r12, [r8, #4]
368         eors    r12, #PSR_MODE_SVC   <=====
369         beq     invoke_hypercall
---8<---

is not as expected by the linker (ld). It expects taht the first and
second argument of the code be a register. I have repeatedly checked
that I am working on the exact source code as extracted from the
xen-arm source downloaded from the xen-arm wiki.

Is this a known issue or is it something which I am observing due to
some possible configuration issue at my end. Any pointers/hints would
be sincerely appreciated. Do mail across in case any further
information is required.

Thank you.

-
Shreyansh Jain