Re: [Xen-API] [Minios-devel] [MirageOS-devel] [RFC] Unicore Subproject Proposal

Hey Samuel,

On 14.09.2017 16:47, Samuel Thibault wrote:
Hello,

Anil Madhavapeddy, on jeu. 14 sept. 2017 15:38:54 +0100, wrote:
On 13 Sep 2017, at 17:13, Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Anil Madhavapeddy, on mer. 13 sept. 2017 11:11:03 +0100, wrote:
Maintaining a forked MiniOS has been a multi-year source of a maintenance
burden for MirageOS,

I'm just wondering why this happened?

The mini-os repository is open for development, it's just a matter of
agreeing on how to implement features :)

We forked it well before mini-os spun out into a separate repository,
around 5 years ago.

We did the same for our ClickOS, MiniCache and Minipython Unikernel: We used our own fork of MiniOS (4-5 years ago). However, while working on it, we noticed that there is much more to do than just introducing some switches and add new features.

We add several functionality to our MiniOS tree (replaced network I/O, TSO feature, persistent grants for block, select/poll support, proper heap memory allocation, hooks into low-level code), but support for more hypervisor stayed forever on our wishlist. We concluded that you should either intrusively clean-up and reorganize the Mini-OS code (which we think is non-trivial to do) or you start with a new project and port the pieces from MiniOS that you need (which is clearly lots of work, too).

We decided for the latter because it also forces us to rethink about internal APIs and code organization. A proper design should also simplify adding support for more hypervisors. And because we understand the needs of Unikernels better today ;-), I think we should consider this as a rare chance and should make use of it.

Ok :)

It's a combination of both I think.  I had a very quick look at the latest
mini-os
tree and ran into build problems from the master branch

Ok, so it's just a matter of cleanly working on it.

Samuel

Thanks,

Simon

Simon Kuenzer
シモン クゥンツァー
Research Scientist,
Networked Systems and Data Analytics Group
NEC Laboratories Europe, Network Research Division
Kurfuerstenanlage 36, D-69115 Heidelberg
Tel.     +49 (0)6221 4342-264
Fax:     +49 (0)6221 4342-5264
e-mail:  simon.kuenzer@xxxxxxxxx