[Xen-API] The API for managing VMs

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Zhenyu Zhou <zzy.cs.sxfs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 17:55:50 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 21:56:48 +0000

Hello,

I'm new to Xen and would like to learn more about its API. I'm interested in how the control domain (dom0) manages other VMs, especially what type of messages it sends to start/stop/query/etc. another VM.

I did a search by myself and found there seems to be two types of messages: hypercall and Xen management API. Hypercall is similar to a system call to the hypervisor, and Xen management API is used to manage the VMs remotely. It seems that none of them explains how, and what kind of message is sent out, to manage a local VM. (Please feel free to correct me if I misunderstand this at all.)

Could anyone offer me some help to understand this? For example, what does Xen do, and what messages it sends, to create a new VM?

Thanks in advance!

Zhenyu