[Xen-API] Snapshot causes disk errors and VM crashes

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Mark Benson <md.benson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 10:28:04 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 10:28:50 +0000

Hi,

I have a problem that's occurred a couple of times with both my test and production systems. I'd like to know if I'm doing something wrong or it could be a potential bug.

I have a Debian 7 wheezy dom0 running a Debian 7 wheezy domU. I plan on deploying multiple instances but right now I'm building one to replace an existing production server.

I installed the xs-tools on the VM from the XenServer 6.2 distribution, and most everything works just fine, however I have stumbled on an issue that's struck me 3 times on 2 serparate servers. When I take a live snapshot, *sometimes* (not always) the guest OS pukes and starts throwing disk errors. It effectively nails the guest OS And causes it to die with miles of IO errros all over the console. It's not pretty :\

Any ideas? I'm pretty sure in the latest instance the guest OS was fully loaded and sitting at a login prompt at the time, so it wasn't the lack of the xs-tool daemon as far as I can see. Maybe something a process was doing in the background on the guest interfered?

This isn't a critical issue for me right now, I just need to remember to snapshot when the guest VM is offline, but if I need to snapshot once this is in production it could cause an unintended outage and downtime (which make me slightly unpopular!).

--Â

Mark Benson