[Xen-API] Memory only snapshot

Hi,

This may be a stupid request and potentially covered at some point - I did find a wiki entry relating to the broad concept here.

Basically I want to be able to selectively snapshot different aspects of a VM. We have a lot of machines running off a small OS disk, with larger data disks. I want to be able to do a snapshot of the OS disk selectively, which I can do with the API and the exposing mechanism from the wiki. This is because the data on the larger disks is usually part of a separate backup process and can be recovered with different methods - also most of the SR's that we run these VMs on are not really large enough to be able to snapshot all of the disks. However, if I do it this way it means that I also open myself up to having potentially unrestorable machine images.

What I am wondering is if there is a way of performing a memory only snapshot? My strategy would be that I pause a vm, snapshot the OS disk, then dump the memory somehow, unpause the VM and then sync the snapshots to a backup unit. Given that I can perform a disk and memory snapshot, I wouldn't have thought this would be too out of the question?

Please feel free to point out that what I'm asking for is completely stupid - I freely admit I haven't done a giant amount of research on this point.

Thanks
Jon