Re: [Xen-API] Autostart with XCP on Debian 7

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Mark Benson <md.benson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2014 17:55:43 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 01 Nov 2014 17:56:18 +0000

I did read that vApp, but at the time didn't try it because it added complexity to the mix.

I think, effectively does what I did but offers a bit more control over start-up timing etc. I may look at doing that instead and see if it improves the boot-up load as currently I'm kicking off both my dev VMs side by side and it's hammering the poor Dev server (HP Microserver) very hard from an IO perspective. I imagine with a bigger machine with more VMs that's going to start causing startup speed issues on reboots.

One thing I noticed is the 'xe start-vm' process doesn't drop to the background upon being called in rc.local. Would it do nay harm to redirect it to background by suffixing '&&' on the end? Or am I better off rolling a proper init.d file for it and using the init system correctly?

Thanks,

--Â

Mark