Re: [Xen-API] VDI import/export with deltas

  • To: Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Bob Ball <bob.ball@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 11:38:29 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-GB, en-US
  • Cc: "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Deferred-delivery: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 11:37:00 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 03 Sep 2014 11:38:45 +0000

Seems like I forgot to respond to this...

> > OpenStack also has a case for using bittorrent to download the VDI from
> peers rather than the central server, but I don't see how to accomplish that
> with the current proposal without requiring double the disk space as we'd
> need to download it then push it into XS.
>
> So at the moment, do you receive the .vhd data by bittorrent in-place?

We download to a sub-directory so the standard SR scan does not identify an
incomplete VHD.  Once the download is finished, we rename them (to avoid any
conflicts), re-write the parentage information and finally move the VHD files
to the base of the SR and perform an sr-scan so it finds the VHDs and creates
appropriate VDIs.

Bob