Re: [Xen-API] xcp-xapi toolstack on ubuntu 14.04

  • To: PaweÅ Tomulik <ptomulik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 12:49:11 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-GB, en-US
  • Cc: "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 12:49:43 +0000
On 19 Aug 2014, at 08:17, PaweÅ Tomulik <ptomulik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> W dniu 10.08.2014 11:10, Firma Averlon pisze:
>> Hi all,
>> already since some time I am trying to install a xcp-xapi tool-stack on
>> an ubuntu 14.04 system.
>>
>> I have posted in various xen related forums for help but last but not
>> least was directed to this list.
>>
>> Target is to have a xen-server running on a ubuntu host able to manage
>> the xen-server with xen-center on windows.
>>
>> To be honest. The various systems on xen (xen hypervisor, citrix xen
>> server, .....) do confuse me a little bit. My understanding is the
>> xcp-xapi tool-stack is what I need if I want ubuntu to be the host -
>> probably wrong!?
>>
>> Is there anywhere a how-to on that!?
>> Hall how-to's I found are on 12.04 and the packages named there do not
>> exist and do not work on 14.04.

> Could someone comment, what is the future of xcp-xapi on ubuntu? I've just
> found this https://bugs.debian.org/740517 for Debian.

From the point of view of xapi upstream, our new focus is to be a better
upstream. When the last version of xcp-xapi was packaged it needed a lot of
patching to work in a debian dom0. This made it sufficiently different from the
released branches on github that fixes wouldnât apply cleanly and it was too
hard for anyone to maintain. Since then, weâve been working hard making the
code portable so that it âjust worksâ if you âtar -xvf; ./configure; makeâ and
weâre almost finished. The next release of xapi (2.0) should be much easier to
package for any Linux distro without excessive patching. Then, when we make
bugfixes to release branches, theyâll apply cleanly to the packaged source.

I hope that someone will try again to package xcp-xapi, after we hit 2.0.

HTH,
Dave