Re: [Xen-API] [Xen-devel] [For Community Review] Embedded and Automotive PV Drivers Sub-Project Proposal (deadline July 11th)

On Tue, 2014-07-01 at 10:53 +0100, Lars Kurth wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> the "Embedded and Automotive PV Drivers Sub-Project Proposal" (see
> http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Embedded_and_Automotive_PV_Drivers_Project_Proposal)
>
> is now open for community review. Please provide feedback by replying to
> this thread

I think you should avoid the word "staging" entirely in this document.

A staging tree in Xen terminology is something completely different to
how you use it here: it's the tree where the committers push things which
serves as the input to our automated test. How about "development" tree?
Or just avoid them altogether by using the individual developer's own
trees and the lists.

WRT xen-devel being busy and the subproject's own lists, it might be
wise to have upstream exposure from early on, which would imply ccing
xen-devel/lkml etc in addition to the subproject list. Otherwise you get
into the issue where the subproject has accepted something (perhaps into
a "staging" tree) but when it gets sent upstream it requires major
reworking (and the developer is long gone, etc etc). Whether that needs
to be part of the charter though I don't know.

More minor thoughts:

"it is likely and desirable that the project may be useful for other"

        I'm not sure if this sentence has the end missing or if you
        intended other to be "others".

"Part of the reason for this is that some of the hardware to test is
also not yet available to open source communities."

        This is not (and should not be) a barrier to sending patches to
        the right place. We have reviewed and accepted plenty of patches
        for which we have no access to the h/w.

"To build these drivers, the QNX GNU libc variant is used (licensed
under GPL)."

        Not LGPL? QNX using GPL for it's libc seems like an odd choice
        for them, since it requires anything linking against it to be
        GPL compatible. I suspect this a typo.

"Must have OSI approved licenses that are required to link with and
usage the drivers within the native OS."

        I can't parse this sentence. I think s/usage/use might be what
        was meant but I'm not sure.

"upstreamns"

        Typo

WRT graduation -- can we include a requirement that any "staging" trees
have been retired (e.g. merged upstream or otherwise obsolete).