Re: [Xen-API] [Xen-devel] Developer Dashboards for Xen Project sub-projects (need input)

On 27/11/2013 02:19, Dario Faggioli wrote:

But not every week, not every month either - quaterly is nice enough.
Or maybe once a year (say at Xen Summit?). But that should be possible
already right? Or is it a major pain to create those nice graphs?

Yes, I also agree that we should pick-up a proper periodicity with which
we look at this, or we risk going mad! :-)
The way how the tool works is to just automatically produce stuff from source.

What is the overall goal?

 From my PoV my feeling is that:
  a). I need to hire more folks
  b). I have more things we want to do than there are
      developers.

And I think the same is true for everybody else. But I don't know
if this dashboard will help in this regards?

Well, I think it goes way beyond that.

Lars is collecting numbers and plotting graphs similar to the ones this
thing is able to produce from some time now, and, honestly, I think they
provide really useful information. They tell much more than just 'there
is more effort needed in this area', they, if done well, provide
insights about the health of a community that, in my opinion, every Open
Source project should be considering very seriously.

As an example, have a look at his 'community roundup' from XS in
Edinburgh:
http://www.xenproject.org/component/allvideoshare/video/latest/xpds13-welcome.html

So, if this allows for getting even more info with even less (or equal)
effort, I think it's 100% worth it.
It took me 3 hours to get that NEWCOMERS vs DROPOUT graph together (should have thought this through before I started and written a script). Doing graphs today is generally a pain (even with scripts and tools).

Lars