[Xen-API] resizing an SR not working, potential workaround

I've come across various resources that suggest "xe sr-scan uuid=XXX"
will detect a resized volume

However, this alone hasn't worked for me.  I've tried various other
things, including pbd-unplug / pbd-plug, rebooting the dom0, and I even
tried using pvresize and lvresize

Finally, running resize2fs on the LV and then sr-scan got it to detect
the new space, but I didn't see that mentioned in any documentation

Can anybody clarify the correct way to do this?  Are there any negative
side effects from using resize2fs directly?

One other thing I discovered along the way, my underlying volume has a
new name.  pbd-param-edit wouldn't let me update device-config:path (it
says it is read-only), so I put the dom0 into single user mode and
edited the new value into /var/lib/xcp/state.db - is there a better way
to deal with this situation or does this value not matter at all anyway?

The version I'm using is the Debian 7 packages, 1.3.2-14