Re: [Xen-API] XCP, no new version, Xenserver 6.2 problems

  • To: "Sierra_[FOOL]" <sierra@xxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: James Bulpin <James.Bulpin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 12:22:28 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-GB, en-US
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 12:22:38 +0000

Hi Michael,

XenServer and XCP are basically identical when it comes to hardware support. Even if there had of been a XCP release matching XS 6.2 it would basically be identical to XS 6.2 so wouldn’t support any more or less hardware.

> The Problem is, that Xenserver supports Hardware only on the HCL list.

That’s not quite true: Citrix will only support (as in: if you have a support contract you can call Citrix about it) hardware on the HCL but the code will likely work on a much wider variety of hardware.

> All drivers (i think Realtek NIC and other things are not in den Xenserver 6.2 Installation CD.

The drivers are in the kernel. Here’s a diff of the kernel config from XCP 1.6 to XS 6.2:

$ diff xcp16/boot/config-2.6.32.43-0.4.1.xs1.6.10.734.170748xen xs62/boot/config-2.6.32.43-0.4.1.xs1.8.0.835.170778xen

4c4

< # Thu Nov 22 18:05:38 2012

---

> # Wed May 29 18:01:22 2013

706c706

< # CONFIG_BRIDGE_EBT_BROUTE is not set

---

> CONFIG_BRIDGE_EBT_BROUTE=m

708,710c708,710

< # CONFIG_BRIDGE_EBT_T_NAT is not set

< # CONFIG_BRIDGE_EBT_802_3 is not set

< # CONFIG_BRIDGE_EBT_AMONG is not set

---

> CONFIG_BRIDGE_EBT_T_NAT=m

> CONFIG_BRIDGE_EBT_802_3=m

> CONFIG_BRIDGE_EBT_AMONG=m

714,723c714,723

< # CONFIG_BRIDGE_EBT_LIMIT is not set

< # CONFIG_BRIDGE_EBT_MARK is not set

< # CONFIG_BRIDGE_EBT_PKTTYPE is not set

< # CONFIG_BRIDGE_EBT_STP is not set

< # CONFIG_BRIDGE_EBT_VLAN is not set

< # CONFIG_BRIDGE_EBT_ARPREPLY is not set

< # CONFIG_BRIDGE_EBT_DNAT is not set

< # CONFIG_BRIDGE_EBT_MARK_T is not set

< # CONFIG_BRIDGE_EBT_REDIRECT is not set

< # CONFIG_BRIDGE_EBT_SNAT is not set

---

> CONFIG_BRIDGE_EBT_LIMIT=m

> CONFIG_BRIDGE_EBT_MARK=m

> CONFIG_BRIDGE_EBT_PKTTYPE=m

> CONFIG_BRIDGE_EBT_STP=m

> CONFIG_BRIDGE_EBT_VLAN=m

> CONFIG_BRIDGE_EBT_ARPREPLY=m

> CONFIG_BRIDGE_EBT_DNAT=m

> CONFIG_BRIDGE_EBT_MARK_T=m

> CONFIG_BRIDGE_EBT_REDIRECT=m

> CONFIG_BRIDGE_EBT_SNAT=m

726c726

< # CONFIG_BRIDGE_EBT_NFLOG is not set

---

> CONFIG_BRIDGE_EBT_NFLOG=m

1104a1105

> CONFIG_SCSI_CHELSIO_FCOE=m

2748c2749

< # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IO_TRACE is not set

---

> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IO_TRACE=y

2916c2917

< # CONFIG_CRC_T10DIF is not set

---

> CONFIG_CRC_T10DIF=y

There are no driver changes here and you’ll also note that both are based on the same kernel.

> XCP 1.6 is better in this point.

XCP 1.6’s hardware support was basically identical to XenServer 6.1’s and both are very similar to XS 6.2 (nothing was removed here). Therefore I suspect that if you can’t make hardware work with XS 6.2 it’s probably not going to work with XCP 1.6 either.

Note that with either XCP or XS you can rebuild the kernel or build specific driver modules for the kernel.

Have you seen Dave Scott’s Tech Preview on CentOS 6.4? http://www.xenserver.org/component/easyblog/entry/tech-preview-of-xenserver-libvirt-ceph.html

> This is not open source, like i and all the other users want.

We’re happy to accept patches from you on xs-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Regards,

James