Re: [Xen-API] [Proposal for input] Disentangling XAPI, XAPI packages and XCP on wiki.xenproject.org

Hi Lars,

>Before this can be done though, we have to agree terminology and category:
>1) Category:XCP (and articles specific to XCP only) ... leave as is
>[…]

“XCP” here being the ISO? If so, yes, agree.

>2) XAPI should refer to the XAPI project and XAPI as a technology. So I propose to create Category:XAPI ... into this we would move
>2.1) XAPI Project Documentation
>2.2) XAPI design and architectural documents (of which there are quite a few, they typically start XAP and most are in http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Category:Design_Document)

Agree.

> 2.3) There may be a strong case for a XAPI User category, aka "Category:XAPI Users" alongside a "Category:XAPI Devs" category rather than mixing these up. This only makes sense though, if there is enough commonality for users in how to use XAPI packages and XCP. I think there is a lot, but I am not sure. Of course, we could also include "Category:XAPI Users" into an XCP and XAPI packages category

I think it makes sense to have a XAPI Users category somewhere. It shouldn’t really matter whether the user is using xapi in XenServer, XCP.iso, within a Linux distro or from their own build from source. I think this belongs somewhere in the Category:XAPI area (i.e. not in XCP because that is just one of several places xapi gets used).

>3) For XAPI packages on distros. We should have a category for these. Maybe "XAPI Packages" or "XAPI Linux Packages". We could tie it to the names of the packages, but I think a more generic approach may scale better in the long run.

I think these should be just pages within the xapi users area discussed above. As a user I would expect to find things like user docs, installation instructions, etc. in the same place.

Cheers,

James