[Xen-API] XCP 1.6 Optimizations

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Antonio Marín Cerezuela" <antonymcs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 15:47:04 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 15:28:51 +0000

Hello,

I'm trying to optimize a XCP 1.6 Host with 2x Intel Xeon CPU E5-2670 with HT and a total of 32 vCPUs. The VMs assigned look something like

As you can see there are several build machines and a Services intended machine (domU-0 running git server, mysql, etc…). Because of the multiple core Windows machines, I'm manually assigning the cpu pinning, and my question is if this configuration schema for the dom0 is possible and/or desirable? I'm not sure (haven't found any references on any citrix/xen.org docs) if pinning the dom0 vCPUs to both sockets will optimize the workload of each socket to use dom0 cpus depending on the socket the VM is pinned to, or if it will be better to assign all the dom0 vCPUs to the same socket.

I have set dom0_max_vcpus=4 and dom0_vcpus_pin with
#/opt/xensource/libexec/xen-cmdline --set-xen dom0_max_vcpus=4
#/opt/xensource/libexec/xen-cmdline --set-xen dom0_vcpus_pin

and
#xe vm-param-set uuid=<dom0_uuid> VCPUs-params:mask=13,15,29,31
Should I change the pinning to the same Socket like 9,11,13,15? Or is it even possible to manually assign a vCPU to the dom0?

Thanks,
Tony

Research Dept
Swiss Mobility Solutions
Av. Locutor Vicente Hipólito 39, 2ª Planta
03540 Playa de San Juan - Alicante
Spain

www.swissmobilitysolutions.com

Este mensaje contiene información reservada y confidencial destinada exclusivamente al destinatario. Si usted no es el destinatario no está autorizado a copiar, reproducir o distribuir este mensaje ni su contenido. Si ha recibido este mensaje por error, le rogamos que nos lo notifique inmediatamente.

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee(s). It may contain privileged and confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy this message and notify us immediately. Any disclosure, copying or distribution of this message is prohibited and may be unlawful.