Re: [Xen-API] XCP 1.6 and 4k alignment

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: George Shuklin <george.shuklin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 May 2013 17:25:43 +0400
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 07 May 2013 13:26:04 +0000

I done some digging in VHD format, so here some information:

Every VHD consists from chunks 2M+4k size (2*1024*1024 + 4*1024 bytes). Payload is aligned, bitmap (512 bytes not aligned, but padding bytes at the begin of the chunk solve the problem). IO on underlaying storage is aligned, but can be very slow because 1st write in VHD file cause massive 2Mb writeback due Copy-on-Write operations.

There is some strange issues I saw during tests when write operations cause significant read operations from VHD layer, but on normal storage this is not a grave problem (but still a somehow performance loss).

06.05.2013 15:58, dominic.ryan@xxxxxxxxx ÐÐÑÐÑ:
Hi All,

Just wondering if there is a documented method to create a Storage Repository on a local SSD so that it is 4k aligned? I've also installed XCP itself on this SSD, but elected not to create a storage respository during installtion in the hope there is a manual method that facilitates 4k alignment. Thanks.