Re: [Xen-API] Setup vswitches in XCP 1.6

AFAIK, the xe-network commands are frontends for switches created via openvswitch. So to answer your first question, it seems to be just create networks.
From some Citrix documentation (that I have since misplaced, if memory serves it was their xenserver administration guide, though not the 6.1 one), it showed the physical NIC being connected up to a 'network' object which was a switch created via openvswitch, from there, all the guest virtual NICs connected up to that switch.

For your second question, I'm afraid I'm not an expert at networking, but I hope the first answer can help