[Xen-API] [Xen-devel] Is: SKB_MAX_LEN bites again. Was: Re: bug disabling guest interface

  • To: "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Brian Menges <bmenges@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 00:31:32 -0700
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 07:31:52 +0000
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=january; d=gogrid.com; h=Received:Received:From:To:Date:Subject:Thread-Topic:Thread-Index:Message-ID:References:In-Reply-To:Accept-Language:Content-Language:X-MS-Has-Attach:X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:acceptlanguage:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:MIME-Version; b=Snl9cZFUcvZ59xTngdRT4eJHzB4wDOoF0lEbTzueo4ynmNpgaUEbtYZPffIP/qMC5wyZfwpyrK2gVpFVhfAujGi895R8AlS/rT+AzsIqqEUoC24rID9EVQVMwO7PtHNl;

Seems I'm completely bitten by this as well. I did notice one difference though
between our old production kernel, and the new one that I'm trying to run
(Linux 3.8.6)

Looking into sources for 3.2.14-gogrid, I see:
struct sk_buff;

/* To allow 64K frame to be packed as single skb without frag_list. Since
* GRO uses frags we allocate at least 16 regardless of page size.
*/
#if (65536/PAGE_SIZE + 2) < 16
#define MAX_SKB_FRAGS 16UL
#else
#define MAX_SKB_FRAGS (65536/PAGE_SIZE + 2)
#endif

Looking into sources for 3.8.6-gogrid I see:
struct sk_buff;

/* To allow 64K frame to be packed as single skb without frag_list we
* require 64K/PAGE_SIZE pages plus 1 additional page to allow for
* buffers which do not start on a page boundary.
*
* Since GRO uses frags we allocate at least 16 regardless of page
* size.
*/
#if (65536/PAGE_SIZE + 1) < 16
#define MAX_SKB_FRAGS 16UL
#else
#define MAX_SKB_FRAGS (65536/PAGE_SIZE + 1)
#endif

I'm supposing that we could change both instances of '+1' to '+2' and see if
this temporarily patches us until netback (???) is patched up.

- Brian Menges
Principal Engineer, DevOps
GoGrid | ServePath | ColoServe | UpStream Networks

The information contained in this message, and any attachments, may contain
confidential and legally privileged material. It is solely for the use of the
person or entity to which it is addressed.  Any review, retransmission,
dissemination, or action taken in reliance upon this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you receive this
in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.