Re: [Xen-API] xcp-xapi on Ubuntu 13.04

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Thomas Goirand <zigo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2013 23:16:17 +0800
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 01 Apr 2013 15:16:37 +0000

On 03/30/2013 08:43 AM, AP wrote:
> I am trying to get OpenStack working with a host running Xen 4.2. I
> found that Ubuntu 13.04 has moved to using Xen 4.2. I was able to
> install the hypervisor and toolstack using "apt-get xcp-xapi". I
> basically followed the instructions here:
>
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/XenServer/Install/XcpXapiOnPrecise

You are in fact using the packages which are developed in Debian, and
just migrated to Ubuntu without much change. IMO, you should really
be using Debian rather than Ubuntu (of course, don't have to trust me,
as I am the Debian Developer in charge of this, so I am of course
vouching for the distro that I like...).

> I am now unable to find clear instructions on how to setup a OpenStack
> compute VM. Many websites pointed me at devstack to get the whole
> stack running in a VM. But I am unable to get that to work.

Yes, and IMO, that's really crap that they all tell "just use devstack".
I wrote about it multiple times, but it seems nobody cares much.

> I realize that the script is trying to mount the DomU disk in Dom0 but
> kpartx is not able to handle it. I tried doing it by hand and was
> unable to do so. Is there an updated script to do this? Or if someone
> can point me at instructions to setup the OpenStack compute VM that
> would helpful too.
>
> Thanks,
> AP

The problem is that everyone tests with XCP as the CentOS
appliance, and never with what is in Debian/Ubuntu. So I think
that devstack must be broken in such a case. I don't think you
will find any updated script for XCP in Ubuntu/Debian, you will
have to work it out yourself. Though I'm quite sure it shouldn't
be hard to mount your domU disk in the dom0.

Cheers,

Thomas