Re: [Xen-API] XCP 1.6 and GPU passthrough

Hi Guillaume,

I'm not quite sure if I follow what problem you are experiencing, but if it helps:

Yes, I was able to achieve GPU passthrough to an Ubuntu 12.04 HVM guest with a 3D graphic card (Radeon HD 6670) on XCP 1.6.

In my case, GPU passthrough to an Ubuntu 12.04 HVM guest "just worked" without much effort.  In fact, I didn't employ either the "xen-pciback.hide" option or the "xe vm-param-set other-config:pci=" command that you mentioned.  Instead, I simply (1) selected my card from the dropdown menu in the appropriate properties section of XenCenter, and (2) installed the fglrx (not fglrx-updates) driver from the "additional drivers" within the Ubuntu 12.04 HVM guest.  After that, I rebooted the VM and GPU passthrough just worked.

Regarding the "xe vm-param-set other-config" command that you mentioned, I successfully activated PCI passthrough to multiple devices (including usb controllers) using xe command taking the following form:

xe vm-param-set other-config:pci=0/<pci-id#>,1/<pci-id#>,2/<pci-id#>  uuid=<uuid>

But gain, the above xe command was not needed (nor did I even try it) for GPU passthrough to an Ubuntu 12.04 HVM guest.

Hope the above helps.

Regards,
GizmChicken

P.S.  Although GPU passthrough to an Ubuntu 12.04 HVM guest worked for me without effort, I have had absolutely no luck getting GPU passthrough to an Ubuntu 12.10 HVM guest (or Ubuntu 13.04 HVM guest) to work.  Not sure what is the difference.