Re: [Xen-API] XCP and opensource cloud options

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Thomas Goirand <zigo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 13:50:03 +0800
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 05:50:22 +0000

On 01/05/2013 02:30 AM, Alex Bailey wrote:
> Hello everyone
>
> I am looking into options into implenting a cloud using the latest XCP
> release, 6809c, and am well not positive which direction to go,
>
> There is of course many options, or at least 3 that I have been really
> looking at,
>
> There is openstack, opennubula and of course cloudstack.

Opennebula is loosing ground...

> From my understanding, XCP 1.6 was built primarily for cloudstack, and
> requires little or no modification to dom0, which is comforting.
>
> Cloudstack seems to be the optimal choice

Optimal because ?

> , yet this openstack movement and community is very large, there is
> extensive documentation on it, yet it just seems that there may be
> "too much" documentation

Clearly, no! :)

> I see many conflicts with regards to storage options, such as "Swift"
> and "cinder" which looks more like "swift vs cinder", there is
> conflicts between nova-network and quantum, then there are issue's
> with regards

There's no conflicts between Swift and Cinder, they are used for
different purposes. Swift is an object storage: you store a big blob,
and you refer to it with a token (eg: a big random number). Cinder is a
network block storage (out of LVM partitions, it creates iSCSI devices
which you can mount in the VMs).

There is no conflict either between nova-network and Quantum. Quantum is
replacing nova-network which is becoming obsolete. Just like nova-volume
is being replaced by Cinder. If you are implementing a new cloud, then
there is no reason to use nova-network (or nova-volume).

> Openstack from my reading needs several modifications to dom0,
> including the addition of plugins/packages, which of course is not the
> most appealing considering that XCP already has an enormous amount of
> possibilities.

Installing the plugins is quite easy. I don't understand why copying few
files seems to be a problem for you.

> I guess my question is, has anyone used any of these solutions? and
> what did you think about them? Your input would be immensely appreciated.

I used only XCP and Openstack. I had a look at cloudstack, then went
away when seeing the way it was packaged (eg: a 3 year old packaging
that hasn't been worked on since, and that doesn't even build on Debian
or a modern Ubuntu). Though it might be better in CentOS...

Thomas