Re: [Xen-API] XCP 1.6 Beta: upgrade of RAID 1 installation

I'd like to report some progress here on the networking issues that stopped me.  I modified my approach in two ways.

a) for the new slave, instead of the management network starting on one of the NICs of the future bond, I used eth0 which is unbonded in its final configuration.  This avoided loosing connectivity upon joining the pool.  The management network can be moved later.

b) I stated above that 'the bonds are created but are connected to the wrong xapi network'.  I now look at it the other way round, i.e. that the xapi network is fine and the joining process creates bonds whose numbering on the slave may be different from the numbering on the master.  On reading the Citrix documentation that the network configuration on the master is replicated on the slave on joining the pool, I now understand that this is not strictly applicable for the bond device id.  What muddled the issues in my case was that I was using the bond device id (bondx) also as the network label to which the bond pif was attached.  As soon as I accepted that bond device ids may be different on different hosts in the pool, even if they correspond to the same pair of NICs, then the situation was clarified.  In my case, the situation is now:

NIC     master    slave    xapi
eth0     no bond  no bond
eth 1/2 bond 0    bond 2  xapi3
eth 3/4 bond 1    bond 0  xapi9
eth 5/6 bond 2    bond 1  xapi11

The slave can fully participate in the pool as far as I can determine.

Unfortunately I cannot go back to the original topic as the slave on the old version was ejected or forgotten from the pool at some stage.  I apologise for the off-topic diversion.