[Xen-API] VHD vs RAW disk images in XCP 1.6

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Alexandre Kouznetsov <alk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 18:57:10 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 05 Jan 2013 00:57:29 +0000

Hello.

While dealing with pre-production tests in XCP 1.6, I found it difficult to access the VM's disks while they are in VHD mode. The ability to be able to mount VM's storage within Dom0 is one of my production requirements.

So, I'm seriously considering to use RAW images instead of VHD, which are easily accessible with help of kpartx.

What will I miss?
As far as I have read, the main advantage of VHD is to do fancy things, like snapshots, while the image is stored in file. Since LVM already provides me that, I see no need of VHD. Besides, I expect VHD to be slower than RAW.

How can I make RAW mode to be the default, when a new VDI is created?
I have not reach the VM deployment automatation stage yet, it's clear I need to consider it when decide for RAW images over VHD.

Thank you.

--
Alexandre Kouznetsov