[Xen-API] XCP 1.6 bugs and crashes

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Jan Schunk <scpcom@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2012 00:07:43 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 23:07:59 +0000

First I want to thank all people working on this project.
We are using XenServer and XCP since 5.6/1.0 as a flexible good way for virtualzation.

XCP 1.1 is rock solid, works on almost all hardware we and our customers use, errors rare and can be handled without to much trouble.
But in XCP 1.6 this change, here is a small collection of show stoppers.

HP DL585 G5 with Smart Array and Areca RAID:
Running 1-3 VMs without problems, but if running 7 and more VMs the whole system freezes within 30 minutes. Even the console on the physical screen is not available anymore at this time.

HP DL580 G5 with Smart Array RAID:
Running 1 Windows XP and 1 Windows Server 2008 SBS with XenTools 6.1 (part of XCP 1.6). After less than 24 hours the Server VM freezed, trying "shutdown" did not work, pushing "force shutdown" then did not help. In XenCenter the progressbar of the shutdown task did not go forward for more than an hour. So I called "xe-toolstack-restart" - which was a bad idea. After this DOM0 was not reachable anymore, no XenCenter, no SSH, no Ping, nothing. Bad for a remote system. Installing the 6.0.2 Hotfix 9 tools seems to help, now the server runs for some days. Another issuse: If we want to shutdown the physical machine it does so until "Halting system", after this the system hangs or reboots instead of powering off.

HP DL580 G4 with Smart Array RAID:
Runs good with 15 different VMs (different FreeBSD and Windows versions)
Only some times, if we try to shut down a Windows VM it hangs right before powering off, only blue desktop baground and mouse cursor left.

Windows XP OEM HP VM:
We have several XP VMs set up with option "Copy BIOS strings" using a HP OEM version of Windows XP. This worked perfect in 1.1, but now it asks for activation. The string hp-rombios = "COMPAQ" is still set, but does not seem to be used.

Best regards
Jan Schunk