Re: [Xen-API] XCP 1.6 Beta: upgrade of RAID 1 installation

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: George Shuklin <george.shuklin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 03:13:19 +0400
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 23:13:10 +0000

I'd also love to see at least some procedure taking such installations as a consideration, as we're also using XCP/XS on software RAID1, and every upgrade is in fact a reinstallation, very suboptimal procedure. Perhaps, given the fact XCP doesnt have to be tied to 'supported configuration' as XS does, we could have mdraid support in XCP for installation/reinstallation since so many people use it?

Well, I've gladly do this, but main problem is opensource part. xen-api is pure opensource and source is available on github.

XCP/XenServer installer is not. I mean, there is no published way to do something like 'make xcp-iso' command. Internals of installer is half-python, but no any information about xen-api expectation about files placement in older installation or proper way to do stuff. We internally simply hack original installer ISO to help us with installation procedure over md raid1. It looks kinda ugly and definitively not for 'public'. And I really wants to create it properly...