Re: [Xen-API] Minimal OpenStack for XCP

Hi,

I leading up the OpenStack effort at Citrix. Hopefully I can answer any
questions with XCP + OpenStack.

Certainly Rackspace have their public cloud running XenServer and OpenStack, so
it certainly works.

Just to be clear, it is probably fair to say OpenStack is replacing the XCP
pool concept. But OpenStack is using the XCP features for networking, storage,
migration etc. It hasn't really duplicated any of that stuff, although Quantum
is going a little down that route. The main configuration pain is ensuring that
all the different components of the system are wired together in a compatible
way.

In terms of getting started quickly, while admittedly not helpful when heading
towards production deployments, you can use DevStack with XenServer:
http://wiki.openstack.org/XenServer/DevStack
The main issue is getting the network configuration correct.

I am looking to create a guide of using the Ubuntu packages on Ubuntu 12.04
DomU to act as the OpenStack controller, but I haven't completed that work yet.
Indeed I would like to script that all, and release a supplemental pack that
would implement that. But not quite there yet.

Let me know how I can help you both. What are you trying to achieve? Web based
access to XCP? CloudFoundry install?

I hope that helps,
John