[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [Xen-API] XCP 1.5 Release Date

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: SpamMePlease PleasePlease <spankthespam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 17:32:02 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 15:32:16 +0000
  • List-id: User and development list for XCP and XAPI <xen-api.lists.xen.org>


On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 7:49 PM, Mike McClurg <mike.mcclurg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Tom,
> I've summarized your questions here:
>> When is XCP 1.5 release date?
> Because we're so close to releasing XCP 1.6, we are considering skipping
> the final release of XCP 1.5. We weren't able to finish "Project
> Swizzle" in time for XCP 1.5, meaning that it takes a significant bit of
> work to rebrand XenServer 6.0 to XCP 1.5. Swizzle has finished in time
> for XCP 1.6, which means that we don't need to perform any extra work to
> produce XCP 1.6.

This is a very important message, because it allows us, early adopters
of XCP make some planning, and I think it should be communicated more
often. For example, I am just about to lease and install few servers
for new project, and since there was no news about 1.5 final release
for quite long time, I assumed the project for 1.5 is kinda
dead/stalled and I was about to do it asap with 1.1 release. However,
now when I know that there is a movement, even with different
direction, I can make adjustments to my plans and save myself
reinstalling everything when 1.6 gets released week after. This is why
announcing current state and schedule is so important, even more
important than reaching the deadlines tightly - I know there might be
a delay, but if I dont know if there's anything going on I cant make
any decision. So, if you'd announce, that you think you can get 1.6
released within (just for the sake of example) 2 weeks, then I for my
plans would assume 4 weeks (100% delay) and then consider wether I can
hold on to such deadline (and the risk even mine wont be reached) or
not. Now I cant, because the status communication is actually non
existent - perhaps this is something that could be improved? What's
other's opinion on that?

Kind regards,

>> When will dom0 be 64-bit?
> We don't have definite plans for this. Typically the only reason to want
> a 64-bit dom0 is for driver compatibility, though. If you really need a
> 64-bit dom0, and you're not afraid to do some hacking, you can try
> installing Xapi on Debian or Ubuntu
> (http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/XAPI_on_Ubuntu). That wiki needs some
> updating, but it shows the general steps required.
> Mike
> On 24/08/12 01:21, Lars Kurth wrote:
>> Tom,
>> I forwarded the question to the xen-api list which is monitored by the
>> project lead
>> Regards
>> Lars
>> On 23/08/2012 15:45, Tom Putnam wrote:
>>> Hi there.
>>> So far we are having a good experience with XCP.
>>> A few questions:
>>> Â         When is the release date for XCP 1.5?
>>> Â         Also in looking at the XCP roadmap, it is unclear on when
>>> dom0 will be 64-bit.
>>> Thanks!
>>> Tom Putnam
>>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)
>>> and may contain confidential information.  Any unauthorized review,
>>> use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the
>>> intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and
>>> destroy all copies of the original message.
>>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> Xen-api mailing list
> Xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://lists.xen.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/xen-api

Xen-api mailing list



Lists.xenproject.org is hosted with RackSpace, monitoring our
servers 24x7x365 and backed by RackSpace's Fanatical Support®.