[Xen-API] drivers needed for xcp 1.1 and 1.5

  • To: <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Benjamin Rizkowsky" <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 12:15:24 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 19:15:40 +0000

Hi,

I am having some issues with drivers in 1.1 and 1.5 xcp  I have downloaded and created my own DDK environments using the source disks and the xenserver ddk’s.

Two problems exist.  Firstly in 1.1 I was able to compile after much headache the OFED package RPM’s and install them onto my dom0’s this allows me to use my Mellanox infiniband cards for attaching to my iscsi storage repo’s.   This works and is much faster than 1gb Ethernet iscsi but not anywhere near the performance I can get from one host connecting to another directly using iscsi.  I was hoping someone had experience with these drivers and possibly how to tweak things to get the best performance out of a block device connected to a domU.

Secondly in xcp 1.5 I was able to successfully get OFED installed one time but every attempt after that failed for some reason.   Also when trying to build the drivers inside the kernel I was getting lots of errors.  I’ll have to create them again and paste in the errors in compiling.

In my performance testing from a server to a server non-virtualized, the Mellanox branded drivers always outperformed the stock kernel drivers and the latest OFED drivers.  I was hoping someone had some insight on how to build or get/install Mellanox drivers into the dom0.  Mellanox supports xenserver kernels but not xcp.  Are the xenserver drivers binary compatible with xcp?  The kernel versions kind of match between xcp and xenserver does that mean they are the same?

Also does anyone have updated drivers for igb( intel Ethernet ) for xcp1.1?

Regards,

Benjamin Rizkowsky

System Administrator

EnterpriseWizard, Inc.