Re: [Xen-API] [Xen-users] Installing XCP from USB thumb drive

On 22/06/12 12:18, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
On 22 Jun 2012, at 12:12, Mike McClurg wrote:

On 22/06/12 11:59, Ian Campbell wrote:
On Fri, 2012-06-22 at 11:27 +0100, Mike McClurg wrote:
On 21/06/12 00:05, Eric wrote:
Is CD-ROM/DVD-ROM the only way to install XCP?

I'm sure you could dd the iso to a thumb drive in the same way you would
any other OS.

This depends on the iso having being created with special options though
-- is that done for XCP isos?

I have no idea, what options does an ISO need to be created with? Can
you repackage an ISO with those options?

If it still exists, packaging.hg creates the XenServer ISO with the correct
options for PXE boot. XCP probably uses the same build scripts...are they
open-source?

Those scripts don't contain any license information that I can see, and we haven't published them publicly. I'm all for making XCP easier to build outside of Citrix, but I don't think that thrusting our build system on the world is the right way to do it ;)

Anyway, here is the blurb that generates the iso:

mkisofs -joliet -joliet-long -r \
   -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat \
   -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table \
   -sort $(MY_OBJ_DIR)/sort.main.list \
   -V "$(PLATFORM_NAME)-$(PLATFORM_VERSION) $(LABEL_main)" \
   -o $@ $(STAGING_main);

Does that look like it'll generate a thumb-drive-bootable ISO?

Mike