[Xen-API] XenServer/XAPI ruby fog provider, knife-xenserver and examples, a call for help

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Sergio Rubio <rubiojr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 08:55:58 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 06:56:11 +0000

Howdy folks,

Never posted here before so I'd like to introduce myself, hopefully hitting the right list with this.

My name is Sergio Rubio and I've been maintaining (actually my employer sponsored most of the work thankfully) some XenServer/XAPI related libs and tools that could be of interest to some of you, but never presented them here.

One of them is the ruby fog xenserver provider, merged upstream and living in the fog master branch waiting for the next release:

https://github.com/fog/fog
https://github.com/bvox/fog-xenserver-examples

I believe fog core maintainers are getting closer to a release and I'd love to get some feedback and send some more patches/features w/ regard to fog/xenserver XCP/XAPI compatibility.
I've mainly tested this against XenServer 5.6/6.0 in the past, but from what I've heard and what I've read it should also work well with XCP installed in a Ubuntu 12.04 or a Debian Sid box. Is that right? Did someone here by chance found the fog/xenserver provider and tested it against XCP?

The other tool is knife-xenserver, an Opscode Chef knife plugin to manage and bootstrap VMs using XenServer. Since it's using the fog/xenserver provider underneath, I guess it should work against XCP too, but that's just an educated guess.

My intention right know is to test both things against an XCP server, but due to the lack of hardware resources I had a couple of failed starts trying to virtualize the thing (mainly networking/bridgin issues). In your experience, which distro/setup is the best one to accomplish such a thing?

Any help and/or feedback with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!