Re: [Xen-API] vhdx support ?

On 01/06/12 23:29, Sébastien Riccio wrote:
Hi,

I don't know where this question should be posted, but I'll try here.

Is there any plan for XenServer/XCP/Kronos to support the vhdx format
that should get rid of the 2tb limit for a single volume ?

As seen somewhere on the interweb:

Now with VHDX Microsoft kills this limitations and brings some other
improvements:

  * Supports up to 16TB size
  * Supports larger block file size
  * improved performance
  * improved corruption resistance

I just spoke to our storage team dev lead about this. The short answer is that we want to support it, but we don't have any plans for it in the short term.

The real benefits we would get out of VHDX would be breaking the 2TB limit, and potential performance improvements. Modifying our current VHD implementation might let us do that, without actually implementing VHDX. Perhaps QCOW images might allow disks bigger than 2TB, but I don't really know.

The biggest issue with implementing VHDX is that we don't know of any existing, open-source implementation of it, which means that we would have to invest a lot of time to write our own from scratch. If anyone knows of any existing VHDX implementations that we can use, I'm sure the storage team would like to hear about it!

Mike