Re: [Xen-API] This maillist status (xen-api@)

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Lars Kurth <lars.kurth@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 20:49:18 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 07 May 2012 03:49:35 +0000

On 06/05/2012 09:00, William Baum wrote:
Has there been discussion of moving these projects into a real online
community with message forums and so forth?
There has been a discussion and as part of the new xen.og website there will be a stackoverflow like Q&A system. An early prototype is out there already. See http://new-www.xen.org/index.php/community/xen-questions.html

The categorization is still wrong, the webdeveloper moved a few FAQs from the xen wiki to give me a feel what this would look like : I think the categories should be

Xen / Getting Started Questions related to getting started, such as set-up questions, etc.
Xen / Troubleshooting Issues related to Xen
Xen / Advanced Questions related to advanced Xen features
XCP / Getting Started Questions related to getting started, such as set-up questions, etc.
XCP / Troubleshooting Issues related to XCP
XCP / Advanced Questions related to advanced XCP features
Xen ARM Questions and issues related to Xen ARM
Community Questions related to events, community, social activities, etc.

I originally was thinking of migrating the user list to a forum, but that had a lukewarm reception. Moving the developer lists to forums is rejected outright by developers.

Given that the new site should be live in 2-3 months, I am reluctant to introduce a new xcp user mailing list now : too many places for discussions fragment the community.

Renaming this list to xen-xcp may improve things a little.
We could channel user questions to a renamed xen-xcp list for the next few months until the Q&A system is in place.
Let me talk to the XCP project lead and to a few people and come up with a proposal.

Thanks for raising this

Lars