Re: [Xen-API] Regarding Project Kronos: Problems faced and feedbacks

  • To: Deepak Garg <deepak.garg@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Thomas Goirand <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 18:19:39 +0800
  • Cc: "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 03 Feb 2012 14:01:08 +0000

Hi Deepak,

I'm the Debian Developer who helped with the packaging and who uploaded
XCP into Debian SID. I'm also working with XCP and OpenStack, and last
week, I did some tests with it, using only the packages from SID.

The packages are in good shape, but there's still few things to fix, like
having a python-xenapi package (already committed to the Git, but not
yet uploaded to SID), and have the OpenStack packages depend on it.

Now, let me reply to your questions.

On 12/27/2011 01:12 PM, Deepak Garg wrote:
> a. After adding the repos to /etc/apt/sources.list mentioned in the wiki, I
> tried apt-get update. I get
>       the following error:
>    "W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net oneiric Release: The following
> signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available:
> NO_PUBKEY 79B578FB9273A937".
>       But the xcp toolstack was installed properly after that.

I see no error here, but a *warning*, which is different.
The issue is that the repository isn't signed. I'm not sure
how to fix that in Launchpad, but for a custom private repo,
that's not so hard to do. Anyway, I believe you should just
ignore this warning.

> b. After setting up xenbr0, I had setup the xensource inventory in
> /etc/xcp/xensource-inventory as per
>       the wiki. But there was already a /etc/xcp/inventory file with half of
> the settings, so I had updated that too.
> So, please update the wiki if 'xensource-inventory' is not the right filename.

Right, the new file really is /etc/xcp/inventory, and there's
nothing to touch in it. It's correct by default.

> c. The cmd given in wiki "service xapi status" doesn't seem to be working.
> Instead the correct cmd seems
> to be "service xcp-xapi status" which works as desired. So I have updated the
> wiki with the new cmd.

Right, the init.d script has been renamed to match the package name.

> d. The actual problem I am facing ( and unresolved ) is with the following
> cmd in
>  link:  http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Using_XCP_-_preparing_the_toolstack
>  "xe sr-create type=ext device-config:device=/dev/sda10 name-label=ext"
> I get the error:  "The SR could not be connected because the driver was not
> recognised.
> driver: ext"
>  (I have /dev/sda10 as a logical partition formatted with ext3)

I'm not sure with the instructions on the wiki, but what I've written
in here works:

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-xen/xen-api.git;a=blob;f=debian/README.Debian;h=c342ef1829d0190ef764a9f8e259db6a60325d48;hb=57892b47dd730ea6e7a1db9e98a934122ebe0876

This will be packaged in the xcp-xapi package at the next upload.

Last, I would suggest you to try using plain Debian SID rather than
Ubuntu, since that's where the developments are done (Ubuntu just
imports what we do in SID).

Cheers,

Thomas