[Xen-API] coalesce: EXCEPTION util.SMException, Child process exited with error

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Lars Seeliger <meesterlars@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 10:58:53 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 03 Feb 2012 09:59:29 +0000

Good day

I'm having trouble with a VM running on XCP 1.1 (installed from CD). From time to time, a scripted backup (which performs a snapshot, exports it to an XVA, removes snapshot), gets itself "stuck" in at the exports phase. I've checked the target disk twice for errors (negative) and so I can only assume some internal XCP process is conflicting. The export does take quite a while, as we're exporting over 300GB over USB, so it's more than feasible some coalesce task attempts to run.

Strangely, this problem occurs on only one of nearly a dozen XCP installations, all running this backup script.

I've done a little digging, and have found some coalesce errors in SM.log. Pastebin link below:

http://pastebin.com/e9UirM20

Before exporting the snapshot, the scripts sets the is-a-template parameter to false, essentially making the snapshot a functional VM in its own rite. Could this be confusing the coalesce tool? If so, why only now and only on this server?

Help would beÂappreciated... The export has hung (last modified time 06:33) and, based on previous experience, the only solution is a host reboot.