[Xen-API] XCP 1.1 and the DVD CPU Usage Bug in XenServer 5.6

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: brooks@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 10:26:52 -0800 (PST)
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 18:27:14 +0000

We're seeing the same issue as described in the following post:

    http://forums.citrix.com/thread.jspa?threadID=266744&start=30&tstart=0

Basically the CPU load on the servers is extremely high and the cause is the cdrommon proc.

Citrix released a fix to this problem for XenServer 5.6 here:

    http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX126919

But that won't work under XCP 1.1 for obvious reasons (kernel version mismatch). A couple of questions for any of those of you that may be knowledgeable concerning building kernel drivers under XCP.

1. Is there a way to verify that the patch didn't make it into XCP 1.1?
   The ata_generic module reports that it is version 2.15

# modinfo ata_generic
filename:
/lib/modules/2.6.32.12-0.7.1.xs1.1.0.327.170596xen/kernel/drivers/ata/ata_generic.ko
version:        0.2.15

In theory that's the same version that was released as the patched driver. I definitely have the TEAC CD/DVD drives and I'm definitely hitting the bug so it doesn't look like the patch made it into XCP 1.1.

# cat /proc/ide/hda/model
DV-28E-V

2. How difficult would it be to recompile the patched driver under XCP?
   Citrix released the src, including a spec file and a Makefile, to the
   patch along with the binary.